Are you in the process of writing but cannot find the "Delta" (Δ or δ) symbol ?
This greek letter, represented by a triangle in uppercase, does not exist on standard keyboards and is often used in science and mathematics to describe a difference between two quantities.
The good news is that it's very easy to achieve them thanks to a combination of keys on your keyboard. You can make this symbol in upper case (Δ) or lower case (δ) using the key combinations explained below.
1. Make the symbol "Delta" under Windows
- Make the symbol "Delta" in uppercase : Alt + 9 1 6 --> Δ
The technique : You keep the Alt key pressed (the key to the left of your Space bar), then you successively type the numbers 9 1 6, then you finally release the Alt key, which will make the "Delta" symbol appear in uppercase : Δ
- Make the "Delta" symbol in lowercase: Alt + 9 4 8 --> δ
The technique : You keep the Alt key pressed (the key to the left of your Space bar), then you successively type the numbers 9 4 8, then you finally release the Alt key, which will make the "Delta" symbol appear in lowercase : δ
Important : This technique only works with Microsoft products as Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, etc...
If you want to achieve this symbol in another software, you'll have to go through the "Special Caracter" menu of the software.
Alternatively you can simply copy-paste the symbol from this webpage : Δ or δ
" I don't have a numeric keypad on my keyboard, what should I do? "
- If you don't have a numeric keypad on your keyboard, make sure you have activated the function Num Lock . If not, press the Fn + button Num Lock.
- If you do not have the function Num Lock on your keyboard, try first pressing the key Fn and then performing the combination with Alt described in the previous paragraph.
- If you still can't do it, don't hesitate to copy and paste the symbol from this article to the location of your choice.
"I have a Mac / Macbook / Apple computer"
If you have a Mac / Apple keyboard, the technique is the same. The Alt ⌥ key can also be called Option ⌥ but it is always the key just to the left of the Space bar.